Finally, be sure to frost these cupcakes!
Serving Size: 12 (1 Dozen Cupcakes)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup pistachios, very finely ground
- 1 ½ tsps
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup skim milk (or soy milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 4 tsps low-fat butter (see substitution notes above)
- ½ cup agave (see substitution notes above)
- 1 tsp rose essence (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Insert cupcake liners (try foil ones instead of paper) in muffin pan or prepare liners on a flat tray (you don't need the muffin pan but do note that if you use the liners by themselves on a tray, your cupcakes will be a bit wider)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, pistachios, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Stir extracts into the milk; set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until fluffy
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and agave (or stevia) until it is light and fluffy
- On low speed, gradually add flour mixture.
- Slowly pour in milk-extract combination, and beat until mixed - avoid over-beating
- Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Evenly spoon batter into prepared muffin pan or liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.